[Comments-o-com-single-char-10may18] o.com comments

Scott McCormick smccormick at kvantcorp.com
Fri Jun 15 23:20:01 UTC 2018

I have been involved in ICANN since 2007, and my primary focus has been on security and stability.
These comments are offered in my individual capacity as a security expert.

It is apparent that the release of the single letters in the legacy gTLDs, the ccTLDs and also the new gTLDs offers no technical challenges to the Internet.   As the single letters are available now in the other legacy gTLDs, it is time to move ahead with the release of o.com<http://o.com> as a trial.  Of course, recognition of prior rights is an important element to prevent misuse or delay in the use of the single letter.

The Working Group on Reserved Names of the GNSO Policy Council did tremendous work earlier and their suggested uses of the auction funds from single letters should be respected, ensuring that the funds benefit the broader ICANN community.

V/r,
-Scott

Scott McCormick
Mobile 443.691.2013