[Comments-org-renewal-18mar19] org gTLD renewal

Scott Hazen Mueller scott at zorch.sf-bay.org
Wed Apr 24 18:03:12 UTC 2019

Hello -

I am writing in regard to the org gTLD renewal proposal, specifically
with regard to the proposal to remove the fee cap.

I am the holder of an org domain registered in 1989, SF-Bay.ORG.

I oppose the removal of the fee cap.  Since the org domain registry is
non-competitive, and the actual service provided is trivial, removing
the cap simply allows the registry provider to select an arbitrary
profit margin in providing a service to a captive market.  The fee cap
should only be removed if market competition is in place throughout
the entire service stack - that is, it is made possible to register a
domain in the org gTLD via an alternate registry - or if ICANN moves
the org gTLD registry service to the lowest-cost provider on a regular
basis.