[Comments-org-renewal-18mar19] Feedback on the .org agreement

Guy Greenwood duke-of-zhou at outlook.com
Thu Apr 25 19:43:14 UTC 2019

I respectfully make the following comments.

In addition to the financial burden to non  profits; not limiting increases on .Org imposes a burden on private individuals and small business, individuals, and bloggers to register a single name with multiple extensions. This is specifically to ensure their site is not mistaken for another site, or if the owner wishes segregate different parts of their activity.

My sister and brother-in-law, are self employed, with a catchey name specific to real estate and home loans. Because their website attracts customers, they registered .Com, .Net, and .Org. Using
.Net and .Org, to redirect to .Com. website.

I registered 3 legacy domains for similar reasons. My .Net is a family workgroup, .Com for a World Press site, and .Org. for a future  litarary site to share and discuss public and unpublished litature. All domains share the name Azue-Ether.

IBM likely won't be able to grab my .Com just because the word Azure, is a trade name for their cloud service, or an academic group trying to grab my .Org with its reference to Henry David Thoreau. Owning all 3 legacy domains, provides protection against litigation, and confusion owning all 3, with one or more in use.

ICANN staff should prevent new .Org registration by 501-C3, similar organizations, government agencies, and overt political organizations. Renewal of current ones, should be allowed as a redirect to a .Com domain for 3 years, allowing sufficient time for them to find an appropriate .Com domain name. My former employer a public agency, used a .Org and thought it inappropriate. It should have been .Gov

ICANN staff should not unilaterally impose URS in legacy TLDs when that issue is precisely what is being examined by the volunteer ICANN Working Group who has been mandated to review this issue. ICANN policy making is supposed to be a ‘bottom up, multi-stakeholder model’.

I believe that legacy gTLDs are fundamentally different from for-profit new gTLDs. Legacy TLDs are essentially a public trust, unlike new gTLDs which were created, bought and paid for by private interests. Registrants of legacy TLDs are entitled to price stability and predictability, and should not be subject to price increases with no maximums. Unlike new gTLDs, registrants of legacy TLDs registered their names and made their online presence on legacy TLDs on the basis that price caps would continue to exist.

Unrestrained price increases on the millions of .org registrants who are not-for-profits or non-profits, those using as redirects, AND, those using for non- political use, it would be unfair to them. Unchecked price increases have the potential to result in hundreds of millions of dollars being transferred from these organizations to one non-profit, the Internet Society, with .org registrants receiving no benefit in return. ICANN should not allow one non-profit nearly unlimited access to the funds of other non-profits.

ICANN appears to be entirely catering to registries by removing price caps. ICANN should stand up for the public interest and registrants!

Sincerely,

Guy Greenwood

Owner Domains:

Azure-Ether.net