[Comments-org-renewal-18mar19] Comments on Potential Removal of Price Caps on .org TLD domain names

Harvey Smith hs_temp at grig.com
Thu Apr 25 21:25:40 UTC 2019

My name is Harvey Smith, and I am an administrator for various web properties with a .org TLD. I am writing to express my deep disapproval with ICANN’s proposal to remove the wholesale pricing caps on the .org TLD.

Although there may be many resellers of domain names ending in .org, the fact that there is one organization that effectively acts as the sole source of supply of these domains results in enormous pressure to wield that power in abusive ways. Fortunately this has not been the case due to contractual obligations ICANN has with Public Interest Registry, the manager of the .org domain space. But without this contractual protection, there is no effective protection from rampant pricing inflation.

In fact, the cost to provide digital services should DECREASE over time, due to the great increases in productivity of modern electronic systems and a robust economy providing ever more customers of .org domains.

I greatly encourage you to maintain a contractual cap on the wholesale prices of .org domains for the next contract extension.

Sincerely yours,

Harvey Smith