[Comments-org-renewal-18mar19] .org price cap removal

Mark Horler mh at soyaproject.org
Thu Apr 25 12:18:21 UTC 2019

To whom it may concern,

I am writing to oppose the removal of the cap on .org domain pricing.

Firstly, I would like to note that .org is used most often by charities
and other organisations with a mission to do good. Many of these
organisations simply do not have the funds to pay huge amounts for a
domain.

This leads on to the second point, which is that the internet is
supposed to be accessible to all. The simple fact is that the removal of
price caps will most exclude those with the least available funds. That
is to say, it will increase the extent to which the internet is
dominated by corporations with deep pockets. This is already an ongoing
problem and, along with occasional proposals to throttle bandwidth,
represents a real threat to the openness, decentralisation and
democratism that should be the hallmark of the internet.

I urge you therefore to reconsider this move, and to keep the price caps
in place.

Sincerely

Mark Horler
--