[Comments-org-renewal-18mar19] Objection to price cap removal

Ismael Velasco mayel.vel at gmail.com
Thu Apr 25 12:19:31 UTC 2019

This is to register a strong objection to the removal of price caps on .org
domains. .org domains have come to be the domain of choice for non-profits
and community groups around the world.

Removing the price cap will adversely affect the organisations who can
least afford it, who benefit most people without private gain. I understand
the general commercial pressures in the domain market, but I believe it
would be against the public interest to remove the price caps on the .org
domains specifically.

Also, most non-profits will not be aware of these changes, so the likely
sudden price hikes will take them by surprise, and unlike private
businesses and individuals, most grant funded organisations have very
little discretionary funds, most of them being pre-allocated to specific
things. This means that they might not be able to adapt to the changes in
time and could lose the domains they have come to rely on, often for life
saving and crisis support. The gap in digital skills could also create
extra problems if they needed to change under pressure from domain vendors
who suddenly hike their prices to go after more profitable clients. This
would be a loss to the public interest.