[Comments-org-renewal-18mar19] proposed .org management contract renewal

Richard Hohm rich at unusual-attitude.org
Thu Apr 25 23:16:19 UTC 2019

I am writing today to express my strong objection to the proposed PIR
contract renewal as it currently stands. In principle, I have no problem
with lifting price caps on domain registry. In this specific case,
however, the Public Interest Registry organization holds a monopoly on
.org registrations. If the pricing restraints on this company were
lifted, history strongly suggests that their registration fees would
increase substantially, possibly to an extreme degree. Those of us
holding .org domains might well be forced to choose between paying
prohibitive fees, or giving up years of accumulated name recognition and
goodwill in moving to another TLD.

I am not as alarmed as I would be, were PIR a for-profit company. My
quick read of the proposal, however, found nothing to prevent PIR from
reorganizing as for-profit, and they would have considerable incentive
to do so. Regardless, history has proven that unregulated monopolies of
any sort invariably end up serving their own interests rather than those
of the public. As a hobbyist with several .org domains and who manages a
.org website for a not-for-profit organization, I am concerned that the
proposed contract will trigger what I assume are unintended side effects
that would make it difficult or impossible for us to continue to hold
these domains.

I believe the best way forward is to continue to place a ceiling on
registration fees. Failing this, I offer a modification to the proposal:
Remove price caps on .org if you must, but at the same time open the TLD
to allow multiple organizations to share its management and charge fees
for registrations. Competition would then keep fees down to a reasonable
level. A model for this modality could be found in the way USA power
companies sell electric power individually to consumers, with the
electricity from each delivered over a common power line grid.

Thank you for your attention and consideration.