[Comments-org-renewal-18mar19] Removing .org legacy price caps threaten small organizations

CarolMoore1776 carolmoore1776 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 25 23:32:42 UTC 2019

I am a .org registrant.

A number of excellent objections to raising the cap on .org legacy TLDs
have been explained here.

I find it difficult to believe that an organization like ICANN that is
supposed to serve the public potentially  could destroy tens of
thousands of small organizations' most important means of outreach to
the public.

I registered three small websites for loose networks that advocate for
specific issues.  While the .net is the main site, I forward the .org to
each one.  I also keep the domain because I, or others who I work with,
may in the future want to turn one or more of the websites into a full
blown organizations.

Also, I know that there are factions very opposed to the mission of the
sites and would be delighted to buy the .org sites and use them to mock
the current .net sites or even to defraud visitors. I'm sure lots of
organizations have that issue.

Similar concerns apply to individuals who do not want their name sullied
with false sites mocking or misrepresenting them.

Yes, speculators and domain investors can be annoying. But at least if
you want a domain back they'll sell it to you.  Saboteurs will just hold
on to it!

I thought when the United States let ICANN go it was to serve the larger
public and world in a fairer way and help keep costs under control for
countries with smaller GDP and personal and group incomes.  But now I
see just the opposite.

I am very disappointed.

Note: By submitting my personal data, I agree that my personal data will
be processed in accordance with the ICANN Privacy Policy, and agree to
abide by the website Terms of Service.By submitting my personal data, I