[Comments-org-renewal-18mar19] Proposed Renewal of .org, .biz and .info Registry Agreement

Sophie Li Wan Po sophie_liwanpo at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 26 02:21:35 UTC 2019

Hello

I am a .biz domainname registrant.

I am against theproposal to remove all price restrictions on .org, .biz and .info domain names.  This proposal will leave me and all othersuch registrants exposed to very large fee increases.  This is not a competitive market.  As a domain name registrant who has beenpaying for this domain many years, I have no choice but to pay for the feeevery year if I want to maintain my domain name.  The system has been working well and there isno justification for this change.

Legacy gTLDs arefundamentally different from for-profit new gTLDs and should be treated thatway. Legacy TLDs are what the internet was built on. They are essentially apublic trust. They are very different than new gTLDs which were created, boughtand paid for by private parties. Registrants of these legacy extensions shouldbe entitled to price predictability & stability.

Advancements intechnology should be driving the cost of operating a registry down, yet priceskeep going up? Removing price caps is unfair to the millions of domainregistrants. They will have no price protections. Every registrant will be atthe complete mercy and whims of the registry. This could result in a transferof funds from millions of non-profits to one non-profit, with no benefits tothe domain registrants.

ICANN issupposed to represent a "bottom up, consensus-driven multistakeholdermodel". ICANN should not unilaterally impose URS in legacy TLDs when thatissue is precisely what is being examined by the volunteer ICANN Working Groupwho has been mandated to review this issue.

 Best regards
Sophie