[Comments-org-renewal-18mar19] Oppose removing all price restrictions on the .org domain

Todd Hahn toddthahn at gmail.com
Fri Apr 26 02:51:36 UTC 2019

ICANN’s current contract with Public Interest Registry (PIR), the group
that runs the .org domain name, allows PIR to increase the wholesale price
of .org domains by 10% a year. Now ICANN is proposing extending the
contract to operate .org but letting PIR set whatever prices it wants.

Rather than a 10% increase to renew a domain, PIR could charge registrars
as much as they'd like. In turn, registrars would have no choice but to
pass these charges on to customers.

As a former board member of a small local non-profit charitable
organization, the potential for increased costs is concerning and may
affect our organization's ability to reach out to the public and continue
our mission.

Therefore, I oppose removing all price restrictions on the .org domain.

Sincerely,
-Todd Hahn
Sugar Land, Texas, United States