[Comments-org-renewal-18mar19] Comment from RadioDNS in respect of the proposed renewal of .org Registry Agreement

Nick Piggott (RadioDNS) nick.piggott at radiodns.org
Fri Apr 26 07:35:59 UTC 2019

RadioDNS is the not-for-profit membership organisation which coordinates
the global development of hybrid broadcast radio.

Central to our function is the provision and diligent management of a root
name server operated at radiodns.org. Our domain is referenced by many
broadcast radio stations and consumer electronic devices.

We raise a concern regarding the proposal to remove the “Maximum Service
Fee” mechanism from the new Registry Agreement. This appears to create an
uncontrolled cost risk to the users of the domain, many of whom, like us,
are non-commercial and not-for-profit organisations with limited financial
resources. There seems to be no basis for this proposed change other than
to create alignment with other registry agreements, thus removing the
fundamentally differentiated and protected nature of .org for organisations
like ours.

Nick Piggott
Project Director
RadioDNS

www.radiodns.org // @radiodns // +44 1600 888335 // +1 (850)-888 8335

RadioDNS Limited is a not-for-profit company owned by its members, and
registered in England and Wales with number 08818015. The registered office
is 113 Parson St, Bristol BS3 5QH, United Kingdom