[Comments-org-renewal-18mar19] Opposing removal of price caps for .org/.info/.biz gTLDs

Bernhard Egger bernhard.egger at gmail.com
Fri Apr 26 13:44:45 UTC 2019

To whom it may concern,

I am and have been a domain name registrant for almost two decades now and
strongly oppose the removal of any price cap on .org, .info, and .biz
domains.

1) Unrestricted prices hurt private and and small organizations
If ICANN's goal is to allow only the big players on the Internet, removing
the price cap is the way to go. This is, however, not the mission of ICANN.
Quote from https://www.icann.org/get-started
"ICANN is a not-for-profit public-benefit corporation with participants
from all over the world dedicated to keeping the Internet secure, stable
and interoperable."

2) No justification for removing the price cap
Without a cost analysis it is impossible to judge the necessity of this
change. I do not see any valid reason why suddently the allowed 10%
increase per year cannot cover the cost of operation. In fact, if at all
the prices should probably be lowered. The whole things sounds like a
money-grab by ICANN and associates.

3) Ignoring the ICANN Working Group
Did ICANN respect the findings and results of the working group that is
currently reviewing this issue? Probably not since their work is not over
yet. Why the sudden, undemocratic, and unilateral rush?

Again: I strongly oppose the removal of any price cap on .org, .info, and
.biz domains.

Thanks,
Bernhard Egger