[Comments-org-renewal-18mar19] Objection to Removal of Price Cap on .org Domains

Ian Austin ian234 at ntlworld.com
Fri Apr 26 16:04:30 UTC 2019

We comment as a .org website domain owner to strongly object to the
removal of the price cap on .org suffix domains and fully join with
supporting those who have already clearly expressed their objection to
these proposals by ICANN.

As a local not-for-profit, and aspiring to become a charity, our choir
has deliberately recently adopted a '.org' domain for its website and
e-communications because we believed it correctly represented us a
group, rather than .com, .co.uk, .biz, or other domain name suffixes
which may confer a corporate or commercial overtone.  We raise, at
present, modest sums for charitable causes.  Other .org holders are,
through their longer existence, better able to generate significant sums
for deserving causes through their own activities.

It is with absolute dismay we find that for the priviledge of having a
domain suffix consistent with our own aims, we may be asked to pay fees
significantly higher than we currently pay, and which can be funded only
from our own not-for-profit resources.

---