[Comments-org-renewal-18mar19] Proposed Renewal of .org Registry Agreement

Grady Jensen grady.jensen at brml.org
Thu Apr 25 12:31:53 UTC 2019

I am a .org registrant.

I find it shameful that a non-profit organization would contemplate
removing the provision in their contracts that limits the amount that an
organization can increase the price of .org domains. We have seen time and
time again where one assumes this type of language is not needed or
companies promise not to abuse such language, only to have the abuse occur
regardless.

The only ones the removal of this sort of clause helps are large
businesses. It could be the case, at least it is in respect to me, that
many of these domains would not be able to be renewed if the prices where
increased to an unreasonable level. The purpose of including language that
limits the wholesale price of .org domains to 10% increase is to have
longevity and continuity. How can a small group or small hobby organisation
pay for a domain when the cost could, hypothetically, be increased 100 fold
overnight?

Shameful is the only word I have to describe this profits focused type of
agenda from a nonprofit organisation that says it is focused on public
benefit.

Grady Jensen