[Comments-org-renewal-18mar19] I am STRONGLY OPPOSED to the removal of price cap in the .org agreement

Stan Rhodes stanleyrhodes at gmail.com
Fri Apr 26 16:32:48 UTC 2019

I am STRONGLY OPPOSED to the removal of the price cap provisions from the
renewal of the .org agreement. The cap is vital for the internet presence
of small organizations, like non-profit charity organizations. This cap
removal will clearly prevent smaller organizations and personal projects
from having a clear presence on the internet, undermining the public good.

Domain names are a unique product and brand, thus not easily substitutable
with another name. This creates a huge cost for any organization changing
domain names. It also means there's no competition in any real way to keep
prices low. Bottom line: there's nothing to keep prices in check, which is
precisely what is needed for these small organizations.  ICANN has the
responsibility to protect registrants from outrageous price increases.

The costs of domain registration must ONLY cover the costs of registration,
which are smaller and smaller due to increasing automation. Costs beyond
this are outrageous, and unconscionable in their impact. I hope the good
folks at ICANN will look deep inside themselves to appreciate their
importance and duty in ensuring that the internet can be a resource for
public good.

Sincerely,
Stan Rhodes