[Comments-org-renewal-18mar19] Public Comment on Proposed Renewal of .org Registry Agreement

Adam Raczkowski ajraczkowski at gmail.com
Fri Apr 26 17:05:40 UTC 2019

Hi,

As an owner of a .org domain, I am reaching out to provide my comments on
the Proposed Renewal of .org Registry Agreement. I am most concerned with
removing the price cap provisions. Without this provision, the price of a
.org domain can increase from year to year without bound. The effect of
this is that owners of .org domains, including many charities, might no
longer be able to afford the price increase and lose domains they have
owned for many years, or they may have to divert funds from their core
charitable missions to cover this increased cost.

I believe the current price cap of 10% is fair. A 10% annual increase is
much larger than inflation (~2.5%). The operating costs for maintaining the
.org registry should be minimal and very much in line with inflation. As a
steward of one of the original TLDs, Public Interest Registry should strive
to keep the price of .org domains to within their costs plus a reasonable
profit margin. A price cap in the agreement would ensure .org domains are
fair and open to all, the same kind of principles that have guided the
internet since its beginnings.

Thanks,
Adam Raczkowski