[Comments-org-renewal-18mar19] Feedback on the .org agreement

Andy Campbell andy.campbell at nicholasville.org
Thu Apr 25 13:20:16 UTC 2019

To whom it may concern:

I am a .org registrant and represent a local government.  I inherited the .org address from a
predecessor who registered the domain during one of the periods when .gov or .ky.us was not an
allowed option.  Close to 20 years later we are kind of stuck with .org.

I've read about a lot of bad decisions under the UDRP. The URS seems even worse. I heard the URS is
very new and is being reviewed now to see if it is working properly. It is too soon to include an
untested policy on .org domains where for a few hundred dollars anyone could try to shut down
someone else's website.

You let the new domain extensions charge any price they want, but that hasn't gone so well. Lots of
people got burned when the new registries offered low rates for the first year, and then after
people registered the domain names and some built web sites on them, some of the prices were raised
through the roof. .Org has been working just fine for decades where the prices maybe go up a little
bit each year. Allowing huge price increases from one year to the next could ruin .org for
everybody. A LOT of non-business organizations use .org and have for many years now.

I think you should pay a little more attention to what is good for the owners of .org domain names.
The registries are doing fine. They don't need your help as they are already making plenty of money.
Personally, I see this as a simple money grab from unsavory people that probably need to be chased
out of the industry for being the greedy self serving twits.

Thanks for your time,

Andy Campbell
IT Manager
City of Nicholasville