[Comments-org-renewal-18mar19] Please RETAIN caps on .org domain price increases

Ian Sullivan ian at cloudwatcher.org
Thu Apr 25 13:23:39 UTC 2019

I am *very* concerned about the removal of the price caps for .org
domains and strongly support retaining those caps in future. I have
built my online life and personal projects around .org domains for the
last 15 years. Removing the price caps will give wholesalers the ability
to hold hostage those of us who already have these domains.

Domain registration is inherently a monopoly business and setting basic
price controls at the highest level is the most effective means to
prevent the abuse of that monopoly power by those with whom you
contract. A 10% annual price cap is already massively higher than the
rate of economic growth basically anywhere in the world so even that
previous rate already builds in a significant profit margin.

Please reconsider and preserve these price caps in the future.

Sincerely,

Ian