[Comments-org-renewal-18mar19] Objection to proposed lifting of pricing cap on .org websites

tradartsjournal at gmail.com tradartsjournal at gmail.com
Thu Apr 25 13:55:09 UTC 2019

To whom it may concern,

I write as an academic and Co-Editor of the International Journal of
Traditional Arts (www.tradartsjournal.org <http://www.tradartsjournal.org>
).

I am writing to request that some exemption (or complete exemption for all
'.org' websites) is made for the pricing of charitable and academic and
non-profit associations, journals, and organizations.

We run a very small, niche academic journal for those people interested in
traditional music, crafts, dance and arts. It would simply not be possible
to do so if we had any significant costs associated with the domain name
ending with .org.

I am also the Chair of a UK-based academic subject association-The British
Forum for Ethnomusicology-and we are a UK charity recognised in law. Any
price increases for us in relation to domain hosting would similarly be
deleterious to our mission for the public good.

Please consider exempting all '.org' websites, or any organisation or
individual whose work online substantively resides in the scholarly,
charitable or non-profit sectors.

Yours sincerely,

Dr Simon McKerrell.