[Comments-org-renewal-18mar19] .org comments

Matthew Schulz mattschulza at gmail.com
Thu Apr 25 14:10:17 UTC 2019

Hi,

I would like to dissuade ICANN from removing the pricing cap on .org domains, as mentioned in the below;

Pricing for Domain Name Registrations and Registry Services (Section 2.10 of the .org renewal agreement): In alignment with the base registry agreement, the price cap provisions in the current .org agreement, which limited the price of registrations and allowable price increases for registrations, are removed from the .org renewal agreement.

This could be opened up for misuse and with no pricing cap or agreed annual increase, what could stop registrars or ICANN from charging unreasonable amounts, or amounts at 100x the current rate once the cap is removed.

This cost would then be passed on to consumers, creating a large barrier for entry to many businesses. As an entrepreneur, I like that I have the option to think about and then reserve domains for potential businesses. At around $10 per domain, this is very sustainable, at $100 - for example - it isn’t.

I think it’s in the best interest of those that will use these domains to keep a reasonable price cap to prevent potential misuse.

Kind Regards,

Matthew Schulz

mattschulza at gmail.com
+27 82 697 0607