[Comments-org-renewal-18mar19] Why remove protections on existing domains?

Jonas Goslow jgoslow at gmail.com
Thu Apr 25 14:30:57 UTC 2019

I'm writing to strongly oppose the removal of caps on existing domain
extensions, in particular .org.  Not only will these changes hurt
organizations with little to no budget, it will injure the ability of new
organizations to establish a web presence easily and cheaply.  What reason
besides greed is there to remove these restrictions?  We know it costs next
to nothing to operate these domains, and when managed en-masse it's even
cheaper.  By removing these protections you create a winner-take-all
dynamic with web domains, as those who currently hold these contracts will
have an inherent monopoly over the outcomes.

This sort of change erodes public trust in organizations and oversight
institutions created to foster new technologies, protect the accessibility
of the web, and steward web technologies into the future.  Please don't
sell your reputation, stand up for consumers.

- Jonas Goslow