[Comments-org-renewal-18mar19] Keep .org price caps, keep open source projects online

Timothy Pearson kb9vqf at pearsoncomputing.net
Fri Apr 26 19:03:45 UTC 2019

I would like to formally oppose the removal of price caps for .org
domains.  I maintain several open source projects on infrastructure that I
pay to keep online, including domain name renewals.  Some of these
projects date back well over a decade at this point, and are not
commercial, profitable ventures.  As a result, if the registration fees
increase, there is a high chance that these projects may either go offline
entirely or move to a different domain extension, leading to significant
confusion from users and the likely failure of the projects in question.

At the very least, please provide some means of making sure we don't lose
existing chunks of Internet history just because of domain renewal costs.
The Internet was not built solely for commercial operators, and it would
be a sad day indeed when non-commercial interests are kicked to the curb
and booted off of identities they have built and held for many many years.