[Comments-org-renewal-18mar19] Proposed Renewal of .org Registry Agreement

hgs hello at harigovind.org
Thu Apr 25 15:17:17 UTC 2019

My opinion is that the proposed renewal of .org registry agreement is a
bad idea. I  believe that when there is no guarantees as to whether the
domain name will be affordable in the future, organizations and
individuals will be reluctant to buy domain names and have an online
presence. I'm a student and I own a .org domain name and use it for my
personal website and my e-mail. Having an e-mail under my own domain
name gives me the power to choose any e-mail servers I find suitable
without changing my e-mail address. As a student with very little
income, the domain name is only affordable to me at current prices and
if I have no guarantee that the pricing won't skyrocket in a year or
two, I would have to reconsider if I need a domain or not given the risk
of giving it up due to high prices and someone else taking it over.

It is my request to reject this proposal because I strongly believe that
organizations will choose to not have an online presence than having
their online identity taken up by someone else because they don't have
the resources to continue using it. For existing organizations using a
.org domain, giving it up means that giving up their whole online
identity. So they will have no other choice than to pay higher fees to
continue operating. Please maintain the price cap on annual increases
due to these reasons.

Hari Govind

India

Sent via Migadu.com, world's easiest email hosting