[Comments-org-renewal-18mar19] Regarding Section 2.10 of the .org renewal agreement

David Watson dwatson at edwardsprinting.com
Thu Apr 25 15:22:01 UTC 2019

Regarding   (Section 2.10 of the .org renewal agreement):

As a .org registrant, I oppose the removal of the price cap for .org domain renewal.  I use my .org domain as a personal domain only providing absolutely no revenue whatsoever.  Changing a TLD is mostly trivial, but the ripple effect is not.  Since there is really no competition, I can only imagine significant price increases which I would be unable to sustain.
At the very least please consider grandfathering the existing domains.

David Watson

"If price caps are eliminated, competition will not keep prices in check.
Competition is effective in restraining prices only if registrants can
easily switch one domain name for another. An organization's domain name
becomes its online brand for the life of the organization. Moving to
another domain name requires undergoing the hugely expensive and disruptive
ordeal of rebranding and is to be avoided at nearly any cost. Organizations
wish to continue using their existing domain name, for which there is no
adequate substitute. When there is a unique product that cannot be easily
substituted for any other, there is no effective competition.

In the absence of competition, registrants can be protected from
extortionate pricing only through pricing constraints, such as price caps.
ICANN as the trustee for the legacy name spaces has the responsibility of
an owner"