[Comments-org-renewal-18mar19] Pricing for .org domains unfairly discriminates against non-for-profits

Auke Kok sofar at foo-projects.org
Fri Apr 26 20:26:54 UTC 2019

To whom it may concern,

The proposed changes to pricing for .org domains unfairly discriminates
against Open Source projects that largely operate on a no-cost basis
where individual developers personally cover the cost of domain name
registrations. A large influx of commercial vendors are already taking
over .org domains for resale value and therefore diluting the value of
.org domains and not increasing it.

There is nothing wrong with the current pricing model and market
adjustment for .org is out of proportion and without merit.

The only logical conclusion I can see is to fill the bank accounts of
certain brokers by allowing predatory pricing to become in effect. This
benefits none of the domain holders and creates effectively a tax for
those who do not have the means to pay.

I am astonished this proposal includes the wording and deeply saddened
that it has been pushed forward this way. It reaffirms my suspicion that
the organization has been run over by special interests and no longer is
concerning all its users fairly.