[Comments-org-renewal-18mar19] .org as a public good

Scott Wiersdorf scott at ipartner.net
Thu Apr 25 16:20:18 UTC 2019

Thank you for the opportunity to share my thoughts about the .org domain. I have always considered this top-level domain as a public good. This gives people of all kinds the ability to represent themselves to the world with a domain name of their choosing. Registrars act in a capacity to ensure fair access to this public good and provide a mechanism for handling disputes.

While many resources benefit from market controls, which often push prices downward through innovation and competition, the .org TLD is a scarce resource and I worry that by uncapping .org registration costs that those entities with means will prevent those without means access to this public good.

Scott Wiersdorf