[Comments-org-renewal-18mar19] Comment on proposed revision to .org registration contract

rshaw at genlit.org rshaw at genlit.org
Thu Apr 25 16:45:34 UTC 2019

I am concerned that the proposed change will drop the protection from unlimited price increases that existing holders of .org domain names now benefit from.  I do not believe that the .org TLD is the same as other TLDs, such as .com and .biz, because of its historical home of nonprofit organizations.  Although there is no enforcement which restricts use of .org to truly nonprofit users, in fact it is home to many, if not most, such organizations.

Nonprofit organizations very frequently have severe limits on funds available for any purpose whatsoever.  Some of them are not formally organized simply because the costs of achieving formal status is not financially possible.  If renewal prices for their .org domain name substantially increase, they may be forced to drop their existing, recognized presence on the Internet, and may lose any Internet presence of any form because of the costs.

I urge ICANN to continue the price increase restrictions on .org renewals in its new contract with the .org registration provider, as doing otherwise will reduce the public good provided by the Internet.

- Robert Shaw