[Comments-org-renewal-18mar19] Removal of price caps on .org domains

James White james at thebaffler.com
Thu Apr 25 17:57:48 UTC 2019

I am very disappointed to learn that ICANN is considering opening .org
domains to profiteering and price gouging. I represent a non-profit
publishing operation, and I've worked with many non profit organizations
over the years. These organizations have built their digital presence on
the foundation of a domain name—they will have no choice but to pay
whatever ransom it takes to continue using their domains.

Have the costs involved in reselling domain names increased substantially?
Is there any reason to think these costs will increase in a limitless
manner in years to come?

ICANN's role should be to ensure that organizations have the tools to
thrive on the internet—not to enable commercial greed.

James White

--
*James White | The Baffler*
 @jamesfacts <http://twitter.com/jamesfacts> | 646.397.9250