[Comments-org-renewal-18mar19] Proposed Renewal of .org Registry Agreement

Ian Macky ian at macky.net
Sat Apr 27 00:30:50 UTC 2019

I am the owner of a .org domain and have been since 2005.  I am strictly
non-profit and all operating costs are paid for personally.  Without a
cap-- without unlimited increases in domain costs-- I would not be able
to continue.  Wasn't the promise of the Internet that everyone could
have a presence, and be able to contribute, with minimum barrier of entry?

Where is the justification for unlimited price increases?  The cost of
managing domains has certainly not risen.  This seems to be pure greed
and rent-seeking.

Leave in place the current 10% cap!  Unlimited increases will surely
drive out the smaller contributors and will lead to more consolidation
by the biggest.  The larger commercial entities and organizations with
deep pockets can already buy their gTLD if they want, but the small
players will not have a choice.  For the public good, keep the current cap.

Thank you,
Ian Macky