[Comments-org-renewal-18mar19] Keep Price Increase Cap ICANN

Eric Browning ewbrowning at gmail.com
Sat Apr 27 01:53:57 UTC 2019

I am on the board of directors of two nonprofits which have websites with
the .org TLD, as well as a member of another. Nonprofits work hard to
advance their mission and serve others on an extremely limited budget.
Today, helping advance the cause means having a website. Costs for website
hosting and maintenance can be managed, but we depend on a static URL for
our audience, and shopping for cheaper domain names is not an option. The
only reason to remove a cap is to allow prices to increase beyond what they
otherwise would, so we can assume that this will happen.

Therefore the potential for unlimited increases to the registration costs
for an established domain is unacceptable risk to organizations properly
employing this TLD.

Such a change would fly in the face of the original intent of the price
cap. I can't escape the feeling that this would amount to highway robbery.
An organization "purchases" and uses a domain for years, and includes
registration in their operating budget, only to have it rise uncontrolled
with no acceptable recourse. In some cases this could devastate smaller
nonprofits, by forcing them off the internet.

Who does benefit? Another non-profit.

Do not remove the current price increase cap.

Eric W. Browning