[Comments-org-renewal-18mar19] Proposed Renewal of .org Registry Agreement

chris at chris-tse.com chris at chris-tse.com
Sun Apr 28 08:43:04 UTC 2019

I am a domain name registrant.

I've read about a lot of bad decisions under the UDRP. The URS seems even worse. I heard the URS is very new and is being reviewed now to see if it is working properly. It is too soon to include an untested policy on .org domains where for a few hundred dollars anyone could try to shut down someone else's website.

I believe that letting prices on .org domains go unchecked is not a favorable outcome. Why would you allow them to set a crazy high price? They could try to force the domain owners to pay a very high price each year to renew their domain name, and if the domain owner either won't or can't, then the .org registry could take away their domain name, set a high registration price on it, and then try to find someone else who is willing to pay a high price for it. This is very unfair to long time .org domain owners who may see their prices raised sky high for no reason.

As a supporter of non-profits who use .org domains to help promote the good work they do, such an action could potentially force these organizations to no longer be able to support the cost of owning these domains and have to switch to another. This could ruin years of hard work of making connections under that online identity.

I think you should pay a little more attention to what is good for the owners of .org domain names. The registries are doing fine. They don't need your help as they are already making plenty of money.

Christopher Tse
Software Engineer
w:
chris-tse.com