[Comments-org-renewal-18mar19] Proposed Renewal of .org Registry Agreement

Andrew Zah zah at andrewzah.com
Sun Apr 28 08:59:25 UTC 2019

I am a domain name registrant and I've seen what happens when you let
entities charge arbitrary amounts.

I've read about a lot of bad decisions under the UDRP. The URS seems
even worse. I heard the URS is very new and is being reviewed now to see
if it is working properly. It is too soon to include an untested policy
on .org domains where for a few hundred dollars anyone could try to shut
down someone else's website.

Telling the .org registry that it can charge any price it wants for
renewing a domain name is a terrible idea. Why would you allow them to
set a crazy high price? They could try to force the domain owners to pay
a very high price each year to renew their domain name, and if the
domain owner either won't or can't, then the .org registry could take
away their domain name, set a high registration price on it, and then
try to find someone else who is willing to pay a high price for it. This
is very unfair to long time .org domain owners who may see their prices
raised sky high for no reason.

You let the new domain extensions charge any price they want, but that
hasn't gone so well. Lots of people got burned when the new registries
offered low rates for the first year, and then after people registered
the domain names and some built web sites on them, some of the prices
were raised through the roof. .Org has been working just fine for
decades where the prices maybe go up a little bit each year. Allowing
huge price increases from one year to the next could ruin .org for
everybody.

I think you should pay a little more attention to what is good for the
owners of .org domain names. The registries are doing fine. They don't
need your help as they are already making plenty of money.