[Comments-org-renewal-18mar19] Proposed Renewal of .org Registry Agreement Comment

C txag98 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 28 22:21:31 UTC 2019

While I have never made a comment on the operation of ICANN in the past,
this new TLD domain agreement has moved me to do so. In Section 2.10 of the
.org renewal agreement there will be a removal of the cap the operator of
the .org TLD can charge will negatively affect consumers.

By allowing the Public Interest Registry (PIR) to have free reign of annual
increases those once manageable costs will absolutely be passed on to
consumers. Let's be honest, the .org TLD is not near as popular as .com.
Registration of a domain using .org is not seen as a primary choice by the
vast majority of consumers (private individuals or companies). Many times it
is simply done as a guard against trademark infringement.

Granting PIR the ability to charge any amount they choose could very likely
hurt any potential genuine increase of the .org TLD. While I understand
ICANN and PIR need to make a profit to stay operational, to have no limits
on increase amounts is a very dangerous slippery slope.

I highly encourage ICANN to revise Section 2.10 and reinstate the 10% cap on
increases. This will ensure the .org TLD a competitive place in the TLD
market, reduce potential abuse of fee increases and make it a more
attractive option to the .com TLD.

Thank you for your time.