[Comments-org-renewal-18mar19] Proposed Renewal of .org Registry Agreement

Jon Satrom jon at studiothread.com
Mon Apr 29 16:26:27 UTC 2019

By removing the price cap of 10% in the proposed renewal of .org registry agreement will open the door to price gouging for some of the web’s most dynamic, vulnerable, and positive players.

Non-profits, often with limited budgets, have flocked to the .org TLD. By lifting the price cap, ICANN is saying that non-profits should sink their hard earned budgets into Public Interest Registry’s profit, rather than into their missions-serving social causes and the public good.

I emphatically urge you to reconsider the elimination of the 10% price cap for PIR. Without it, many small .org organizations will face challenges and will potentially be forced to sacrifice crucial program spending at the whim of PIR. The .org TLD celebrates a positive, trustworthy, and kinetic space on the web. Please, don’t threaten it with exorbitant price hikes (like we’ve seen on other TLDs). Don’t side with profit in a non-profit space…

Jon Satrom
http://studiothread.com