[Comments-org-renewal-18mar19] Uncapping Price Seems Like A Bad Idea

John David Pressman jdpostage at linuxmail.org
Mon Apr 29 21:53:39 UTC 2019

 >*Pricing for Domain Name Registrations and Registry Services (Section
2.10 of the .org renewal agreement):* In alignment with the base
registry agreement, the price cap provisions in the current .org
agreement, which limited the price of registrations and allowable price
increases for registrations, are removed from the .org renewal
agreement. Protections for existing registrants will remain in place, in
line with the base registry agreement. This change will not only allow
the .org renewal agreement to better conform with the base registry
agreement, but also takes into consideration the maturation of the
domain name market and the goal of treating the Registry Operator
equitably with registry operators of new gTLDs and other legacy gTLDs
utilizing the base registry agreement

I must admit I find this provision concerning. TLD operators have a
monopoly, and for legacy TLD's especially the demand is high since users
are most familiar with them. If applied as precedent to all legacy
TLD's, I could easily see it becoming more expensive for individuals to
run their own websites. It could even become prohibitively expensive, as
these namespaces are in demand and it's not clear to me the "fair price"
a monopoly can charge for a .com isn't $100.