[Comments-org-renewal-18mar19] Proposed Renewal of .org Registry Agreement

Larry Gritz lg at larrygritz.com
Mon Apr 29 21:57:27 UTC 2019

I am a .org registrant -- my .org domain is used as the home base of a not-for-profit open source software project. There is literally $0 budget and as the founding author of the project I pay the bill myself.

It seems like a terrible idea to lift caps on registration fees for the original TLDs, especially .org which is so heavily used by non-profit groups. Surely this will result in exorbitant fees that these groups cannot afford, if these legacy TLDs go the way of the rest of the for-extreme-profit internet.

ICANN should preserve .org as a digital commons that remains guaranteed to be affordable for non-profit organizations, as well as a living example of what the entire internet was like before the land-grab days began.

--
Larry Gritz
lg at openimageio.org