[Comments-org-renewal-18mar19] Public Comment on Changes to org

Cory Bloor slavik81 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 29 23:55:39 UTC 2019

I am writing to oppose this change to the .org administration. The existing system is tried and true. There seems to be little reason to remove the cap on prices, given that there can be no effective competition in this market. When I start using a name, I build its value. I cannot switch without losing that value, which puts the party that controls my access to the domain at a powerful advantage in negotiations.

The intermediaries between ICANN and myself are service providers in this system, not owners of the system. It's ICANN's responsibility to run this system in the public good, and they should use their negotiating power to minimize the costs of registering and renewing domains for legitimate users.

I largely agree with this comment by Nat Cohen: http://www.circleid.com/posts/20190423_spurious_justifications_for_eliminating_caps_on_legacy_domains/

Sincerely,
Cordell Bloor
Calgary, Canada