[Comments-org-renewal-18mar19] Proposed Renewal of .org Registry Agreement

Miquel Molina miquel at polseguera.com
Tue Apr 30 21:46:46 UTC 2019

Hello!

I am against removing price caps on any domain extension.

I wrote to Russ Weinstein (globalsupport at icann.org) on 26th April. Look below for further
details.

I found your email address at
https://www.internetcommerce.org/comment-org/

Advancements in technology should be driving the cost of operating a registry down, yet
prices keep going up? Removing price caps is unfair to the millions of domain registrants.
They will have no price protections. Every registrant will be at the complete mercy and
whims of the registry. This could result in a transfer of funds from millions of non-
profits to one non-profit, with no benefits to the domain registrants.

Removing price caps will be a step backwards. Please do not remove them. Thank you.

Best regards,
Miquel Molina i Diez

>On Friday 26 April 2019 00:47:42 Miquel Molina <miquel at polseguera.com> wrote
Hello, Russ Weinstein!

I wanted to write to you online, but you do not have an online contact form. When I
clicked on Submit Comment, a window opened and told me to use an application to send you
this email message. Thankfully, there was your email address.

I just wanted to let you know that I am against those price increases because they will
affect the Internet negatively, and many webmasters and Internet companies may not be able
to pay them.

You should not remove price caps under any circumstances because webmasters and Internet
companies would be at the mercy of unscrupulous Public Interest Registry (PIR). This
cannot be allowed because the Internet is knowledge and makes the world progress.

Please do not remove price caps. Thank you.

Best regards,
Miquel Molina i Diez

>On Thursday 25 April 2019 14:02:50 "Namecheap" <support at namecheap.com> wrote
Namecheap We have important information to share with you that can affect the
price of your domains.
 ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌
‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌
‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌
‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌
‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌

 <https://www.namecheap.com>
View in browser
<https://links.namecheap.com/e/evib?_t=9a766a4fa5294d089b01463bac20344b&_m=253191d4b40e40118daa53b22329ced2&_e=Ek5Fw3YHGr12ftsHawFDy3zVwWrq4ZJPJoTAeF6uQXbvr3-
xt1PswGSNf5E8XQGSizjhfYCMTNWmJ6DCM2cUDMKCc7lMOx8TYt8tFmx4DeUHenPSCwnU2vTrUmvf5n9z>

 <https://www.namecheap.com/blog/keep-domain-prices-in-check/>

Help Us Avoid Domain
Price Increases
Hi Miquel,
We have important information
<https://www.namecheap.com/blog/keep-domain-prices-in-check/> to share with you
that can affect the price of your domains.
What’s Happening
ICANN, the organization that oversees domain names, has proposed removing
price caps on all .org, .info, and .biz top level domains. This change could
significantly increase the wholesale price that Namecheap pays for domains, and
would force us to pass along those increases to you.
Who Sets the Prices
Wholesale registries charge Namecheap a set fee per domain name per year.
Namecheap then adds a little markup to cover things like support, provisioning
domain services, transaction fees, etc. ICANN includes a provision in its
contracts with registries that limits what they can charge.
Why ICANN is Doing This
ICANN’s current contract with Public Interest Registry (PIR), the group that
runs the .org domain name, allows PIR to increase the wholesale price of .org
domains by 10% a year. Now ICANN is proposing extending the contract to operate
.org butletting PIR set whatever prices it wants.
Rather than a 10% increase to renew your domain next year, PIR could suddenly
start charging registrars like Namecheap 100 times as much. In turn, registrars
would have no choice but to pass these charges on to customers. Similar
contract proposals may also impact .info and .biz prices.
Speak Up Against the Change
The good news is that domain owners like yourself can take action to stop
these price increases.Act now by sending your comments to ICANN before April
29, 2019.

 You can leave your comment on each proposal here:

.Org comment period
<https://www.icann.org/public-comments/org-renewal-2019-03-18-en>
.Info comment period
<https://www.icann.org/public-comments/info-renewal-2019-03-18-en>
.Biz comment period
<https://www.icann.org/public-comments/biz-renewal-2019-04-03-en>

Find Out More <https://www.namecheap.com/blog/keep-domain-prices-in-check/>

FOLLOW NAMECHEAP

 <https://www.facebook.com/Namecheap/>  <https://twitter.com/namecheap>
<https://www.namecheap.com/blog/>

About Us <https://www.namecheap.com/about.aspx> | Support
<https://www.namecheap.com/support.aspx> | Privacy Policy
<https://www.namecheap.com/legal/general/privacy-policy.aspx> |
Terms & Conditions <https://www.namecheap.com/legal.aspx>
4600 East Washington Street, Suite 305, Phoenix, AZ 85034, USA <>
Copyright © 2019 Namecheap.com <https://www.namecheap.com>
 <https://www.namecheap.com>