[Comments-udrp-provider-16nov18] (no subject)

Neil Brown nabrownqc at vicbar.com.au
Thu Dec 13 00:01:46 UTC 2018

Dear ICANN colleagues,

www.icann.org/public-comments/udrp-provider-2018-11-16-en<http://www.icann.org/public-comments/udrp-provider-2018-11-16-en> was not available to receive my comment.

I am therefore using this method to convey my comment on the application by the Canadian International Internet Dispute Resolution Centre or CIIDRC (a wholly-owned division of the BC International Commercial Arbitration Centre) to become an ICANN approved provider of domain name dispute resolution services.

I am in whole-hearted agreement that the application should be supported and be successful. If approved, ICANN will find that it has an additional well-resourced and competent provider of these services.

The British Columbia International Commercial Arbitration Centre is of course already well known as a provider of dispute resolution services for “dot ca” domain names under the CIRA Policy. I have conducted 12 or so  arbitrations of that sort and I can advise you that they were all handled competently by BCICAC. The staff at BCICAC are all competent and very familiar both with the Policy and Rules they administer and in addition to that they understand what is involved in ensuring the process is applied in a fair and even handed manner. They also have a good understanding of the intellectual underpinnings of the internet, the naming system and the important role of domain names in the system and the overall success of the internet.

I have conducted 1063 domain name arbitrations and I know what is needed in a provider to keep the system running and to administer a process that engenders confidence among those who use it. You may rest assured that BCICAC is more than able to keep up with and surpass those objectives. I can say this because I have been discussing the BCICAC proposal with it for many months and looked closely at what the organisation has done and can achieve. With that background I have no hesitation in recommending the BCICAC and CIIDRC and actively supporting the application.

The CIIDRC has a good team on its panel with many of whom I have already worked on three-person panels. I know that they will continue to apply the high standards I have seen them apply already.

ICANN has commendably promoted the notions of diversity and competition and the internet community derives immense benefit from ICANN applying those principles. There is a good case for diversity and competition in the appointment of another provider in the role that the CIIDRC proposes.

It is therefore with pleasure and great confidence in the ability of the CIIDRC and the BCICAC in general that I support their application.

Do let me know if I can provide any further information.

Yours sincerely,

The Honourable Neil Anthony Brown QC