[council] Terms of office for the GNSO Council

Milton Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Thu Nov 13 02:36:23 UTC 2003

Thanks for raising this issue, Philip. We at NCUC had been
assuming that two of the Council reps would be for one-year terms
and only one for two-year terms. This assumption was based on
the idea that the re-expansion of constituency representation
to three was provisional. Which it may or may not be. If it is,
two one-years and a two-year seems better. Hope this gets cleared
up >really< quickly.

>>> "Philip Sheppard" <philip.sheppard at aim.be> 11/12/03 07:28AM >>>
Council,
The ICANN by-laws section 3 introduces the concept of staggered terms of office for Council reps. Terms are two-year but there is rotation every year.

The transition article of the by-laws achieves this staggering in year one (2003) uniquely with one rep being elected for just one year. Thereafter all elections are held for two-year terms.

Further to the decision by the Board, there are currently three representatives per constituency. It is consistent with the concept of two-year terms, that there is initially one representative elected in 2003 for the one-time only one-year term, while the remaining two representatives are elected as usual for two-year terms.

It is the intention of the Business Constituency to nominate representatives accordingly. We welcome comment from other constituencies on this approach.

Philip Sheppard
Marilyn Cade
Grant Forsyth