[council] Multiple reps on WHOIS task forces

Bruce Tonkin Bruce.Tonkin at melbourneit.com.au
Sun Nov 16 22:46:41 UTC 2003

Hello All,

> > The IP constituency is currently looking at appropriate ways to
> > contribute to the work of the 3 Whois task forces in an efficient
> > manner. In this context, it is our view that nominating only one
> > representative to each TF would result in excessive
> work-load for each
> > chosen person.

There are a couple of approaches that the council may consider:

(1) Decide to appoint 2 or 3 or more representatives per constituency on
each task force, with each rep participating fully.   The issue will be
whether each constituency can find the available people to ensure equity
of participation across all constituencies.   This will require a formal
council resolution.

(2) Allow a constituency to appoint a representative and alternate
representatives on a task force.  The alternates could be added to the
task force mailing list, and listen in on all task force calls, but for
any given call there would be a primary representative to represent the
views of the constituency.  This allows some more flexibility - in that
some constituencies may wish to appoint say 1 representative and 3
alternates, and other constituencies may wish to appoint just one
primary representative.

Personally I think it is preferable that for each task force there is a
dedicated person from each constituency with responsibility for
collecting the constituencies views with respect to the task force.
However it would seem sensible to allow such dedicated reps to
participate in the other related task forces as alternates.

Anyway just some ideas for consideration.  The issue can be discussed
further in the call this week.

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin
Speaking personally