[council] Request for GNSO to consider processes forintroducing new registry services

Bruce Tonkin Bruce.Tonkin at melbourneit.com.au
Mon Oct 6 05:54:55 UTC 2003

Hello Milton,

> So we are being asked to conduct "prior review" of all new
> registry services?

I believe that we are being asked to develop a procedure that ICANN can
use for introducing new registry services whatever they may be.

E.g a possible procedure might look like:
(1) Registry operator notifies ICANN of potential new service
(2) ICANN refers to procedure for introducing new services which might
include seeking public comment, and seeking a report from the Security
and stability committee and/or IAB
(3) ICANN approves or rejects permission for new service
(4) Registry operator announces date when service will go live

The GNSO develops policies, but does not act on each implementation of
the policy.  E.g The GNSO revised the Transfers Policy that registry and
registrars must comply with, but we don't act to approve or reject
individual registrant transfer requests that would be far too slow.

Regards,
Bruce