[council] Notice of Council meeting - Thursday 16 October, 21:00 UTC

Bruce Tonkin Bruce.Tonkin at melbourneit.com.au
Wed Oct 8 00:22:08 UTC 2003

Hello All,

Given that the ICANN President has requested that the GNSO:

"formulate a proposal for a timely, transparent and predictable
procedure for the introduction of new registry services, including as to
how a reasonable determination of the likelihood that a proposed change
will have adverse effects. This process, to be conducted under the
GNSO's new streamlined policy development process, should be completed
by 15 January 2004."

I would like to call a meeting of the GNSO prior to Carthage to discuss
this request with the ICANN President and General Counsel, and also
begin planning how to meet this request in the time frame suggested.

Note that after Carthage the next physical ICANN meeting will not be
until 2-6 March 2004.
(ie 4 months later).

Therefore we should am to take the best advantage of the meeting in
Carthage to begin the work as soon as possible.

I propose that we hold a Council teleconference at:
Thursday 16 October, 21:00 UTC
Thursday 16 October, 2pm USA West Coast (e.g Los Angeles)
Thursday 16 October, 5pm USA East Coast (e.g Washington, DC)
Thursday 16 October, 10pm, London
Friday 17 October, 7am, Melbourne, Australia

This time will maximise participation from ICANN in Los Angeles.

The Agenda for the meeting will be to discuss the request in more detail
with ICANN staff and to schedule meetings in Carthage.

Note the bylaws require:

"Within fifteen (15) calendar days after receiving either (i) an
instruction from the Board; (ii) a properly supported motion from a
Council member; or (iii) a properly supported motion from an Advisory
Committee, the Staff Manager will create a report (an "Issue Report")."

As I don't believe that an instruction has been provided by the ICANN
Board, I suggest the Council vote on a motion for the Staff Manager to
produce an Issues Report within 15 days (ideally in time for discussion
at the ICANN meeting in Carthage).

At this stage I suggest that the Council meet as a "committee of the
whole council" in Carthage on Monday afternoon 27 Oct 2003 to refine
terms of reference, and timeframes for approval by the Council at its
meeting on Wednesday 29 Oct 2003.  Ideally the committee and council
will be able to consider the issues report at that time.

To avoid delays while the new council is formed following Carthage
(which is dependent on constituencies completing thir elections, and
also electing a new chair of Council), one approach for the Council to
consider is forming a task force comprising the present members of
Council to examine the topic of new registry services, and report its
findings to the new Council.  By using the presnt members of Council in
the task force, it will save time in attempting to form a task force
from people.

I look forward to feedback from Council on the above suggestions.

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin
Chair, GNSO Council