[council] NCUC statement on Approval Process for Registry Services

Cade,Marilyn S - LGCRP mcade at att.com
Wed Jan 14 12:34:16 UTC 2004

Actually, I might just explain on Philip's initial comment.  The "typical motivations" of business uses are very broad, and first and foremost, involves using the names that we, as business users, register to communicate with customers, market products, provide customer service, provide actual products to users, manage our own internal communications, etc. etc. :-)

One motivation of some business users, from time to time, is to take defensive registration, when compelled to do so, to ensure against customer/user confusion and misleading communications, trademark infringement, protect against misuse of a domain name that is similar to a service or trademark use, etc. Bad faith is one critical concern of business users. But their interests are varied, just as their business models, strategy, and "reach" and products/services are. :-)

As to ICANN's role in ensuring a stable and predictable environment in the Internet's technical functioning, we may have differences about how to achieve that, or the exact scope, but it is a primary concern to business users.

Marilyn S. Cade
AT&T Law & Government Affairs
1120 20th Street, NW, Suite 1000N
Washington, DC 20036