[council] Draft Agenda for Council meeting Thursday 18 Nov 2004

Paul Verhoef paul.verhoef at icann.org
Thu Nov 18 13:09:28 UTC 2004


Maybe I can be of help. WIPO staff has promised us a commentary on the work of the WIPO-II
committee. We have been awaiting this in order to be able to address a recommendation to the Board
on how to move forward. We have just received this 2 days ago, but neither John Jeffrey nor I have
had time to read it and consider the next step (you will understand that a number of issues required
our involvement over the last days). I hope John and I have time to read it and have a first
discussion on it in the next days. There is little more that I can offer at the moment, so if you
bear with us please, we should be able to inform you soon. Sorry for not being able to be more
concrete at this point.
Best regards

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-council at gnso.icann.org [mailto:owner-council at gnso.icann.org] On Behalf Of
Lucy.Nichols at nokia.com
Sent: 18 November 2004 13:45
To: marc at schneiders.org; marilynscade at hotmail.com
Cc: Bruce.Tonkin at melbourneit.com.au; council at gnso.icann.org
Subject: RE: [council] Draft Agenda for Council meeting Thursday 18 Nov 2004


I agree  ...no final decision should be made on this issue.  

The IPC's primary concern is that the ICANN Staff and President will be making a recommendation
regarding WIPO II and that the Board could make a decision based upon that recommendation prior to
our knowing/discussing the recommendation.  Certainly, we need to have some idea of where the
Staff/President are generally coming out on this and more specifically the nature of their
recommendation --- particularly since no consensus has been reached on this issue. 



-----Original Message-----
From: owner-council at gnso.icann.org
[mailto:owner-council at gnso.icann.org]On Behalf Of ext Marc Schneiders
Sent: Wednesday, November 17, 2004 11:10 AM
To: Marilyn Cade
Cc: 'Bruce Tonkin'; council at gnso.icann.org
Subject: RE: [council] Draft Agenda for Council meeting Thursday 18 Nov

This is a pretty serious topic, I agree, as another elected rep. I do not mind at all that we
discuss this tomorrow. I would oppose though any attempt to rush anything through tomorrow. Be it
dismissing the whole WIPO II request (which my constituency wouldn't mind as such) or taking some
position.  We need serious discussion about this topic, which cannot be accomplished in one
teleconference as such short notice. I suggest we discuss WIPO II on this list before we make _any_
decision. Thanks.

Marc Schneiders

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004, at 19:52 [=GMT-0500], Marilyn Cade wrote:

> Dear Bruce,
> As an elected rep to the BC on Council, I support the request for 
> information and offer the following thought:
> The working group on WIPO II did not achieve consensus.
> Changes in policy by ICANN require consensus In the BC, we have 
> received inquiries from our members, regarding the action of the ICANN 
> regarding this issue.
> I want to support raisign this issue in Council to a priority level, 
> and noting to the Board and staff that there is no support to make 
> changes, given that there is no consensus in the working group.
> I welcome the opportunity to discuss this within Council and will be 
> on Thursday's call. I have to leave at 3:30 EST, so ask that this 
> issue be raised between 2 and 3:00 p.m. so that I can help to address it.
> Best regards,
> Marilyn

More information about the council mailing list