[council] RE: GNSO Review

Bruce Tonkin Bruce.Tonkin at melbourneit.com.au
Tue Aug 2 23:05:38 UTC 2005

Hello Grant,

> I think it is crucial that in gathering data, asking questions,
analysing and
> making recommendations, that this is done in a clear and agreed
understanding of
> the purpose of the GNSO given ICANN's mission, core values (eg bottom
up,
> consensus based policy development) and commitments (eg MOU).

I agree that it will be important to have a clear statement of the
GNSO's purpose, and perhaps some examples of what has been done within
that purpose to set the background when asking review questions.

While I suspect that members of individual constituencies may understand
the purpose of their own constituency - they may not understand the
wider context within which the constituency operates.   When you talk to
people outside of the GNSO constituencies the level of understanding is
probably even lower.

I would suggest that the relevant section of the current bylaws be
summarised, and perhaps it would also be useful to retrieve material
from the formation of ICANN where the constituency structure was first
proposed.   The most recent ICANN reform process that occurred a few
years ago - was more focused on the structure of the Board, and
structure of the Councils, but did not delve down into the
structure/efficiencies of the constituencies themselves - so much of the
thoughts that led to the formation of the original constituencies (and
there have been no changes in the number of constituencies) probably
dates back to early documents in the formation of ICANN.   Some members
of Council may be able to assist by providing references to the Council
list of appropriate documents.

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin