[council] RE: New TLDs - resolution and document overview
Bruce.Tonkin at melbourneit.com.au
Mon Aug 8 08:21:37 UTC 2005
Another document of interest in this context is the attached
paper from SSAC, also available at
Thanks for posting this paper from SSAC.
This work was done by SSAC in 2003 in response to the issues raised with
the support for new TLDs in existing Internet application software.
It is interesting that the SSAC recommendations are similar to those
discussed in the last Council call in response to the issues raised by
Ken Fockler in the GNSO Public Forum in Luxembourg.
The SSAC recommendations were:
1. ICANN should develop an advisory regarding support for new TLDs for
display on their website, and the GNSO constituencies should publicise
this advisory through their membership and customer bases.
2. ICANN should recommend that the IAB consider issuing an informational
RFC advising of the issue, and publicising this through the IETF
3. Internet infrastructure providers that have their own customised
software for Internet service provision should test the capability of
the software to support new TLDs, and correct problems quickly where
they are found.
4. Internet software application developers should be encouraged to
review their software for support of new TLDs. Where problems are
found, application developers should upgrade their software, and provide
these updates to their user base.
5. A central repository of known commonly used software that has
compatibility problems (e.g., DNS resolver software used by common
operating systems) with new TLDs, and instructions for how to upgrade
the software should be created. This repository would facilitate
Internet infrastructure providers and software application developers to
provide necessary software updates to users of the Internet to resolve
known compatibility issues.
6. ICANN should examine compatibility problems with the introduction of
new TLDs in 2001 as a topic in its Proof of Concept study.
More information about the council