[council] request for ICANN action on single letter domain names (now reserved names)

Bret Fausett bfausett at internet.law.pro
Thu Aug 11 04:45:51 UTC 2005

In 2000, ICANN wrote: "Under current practice of the Internet Assigned
Numbers Authority, one-letter codes are reserved from assignment to
allow for future DNS extensibility." (see, FAQ #47
http://www.icann.org/tlds/tld-faqs.htm).

This is the same reason ICANN provided for now allowing second-level
single letters, which is why I suggested bundling the issues for GNSO
policy purposes.

        Bret