[council] Establishment of Programme Committee for ICANN meeting in Vancouver

Marilyn Cade marilynscade at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 16 13:42:35 UTC 2005

I thought I should explain further my views on Programme Committees; they
SHOULD be about planning a programme, not just doing logistical
coordinating, as important at that is to the "standing meetings".

Thus, when we asked for a Programme Committee in Luxembourg, and mentioned
it in the Board/Council meeting, I made my comments from a view that there
will be programme elements that are for the entire community; and distinct
elements which are about meetings held by different parts of the community.
e.g. constituency meetings; the two council meetings, the board retreats;
while there are also "workshops" e.g. DNSSEC, IDNS and other events, such as
the WSIS Forums that are "for the wider ICANN community".

A programme committee would over time have a process to gather inputs and
feedback and develop suggestions for "programme content" in those broader
areas.

Most of us have planned, or chaired programme committees for industry events
and conferences. Our logistical coordination is one very key element.

However, over time it impossible we will want to even change the format of
the ICANN meetings if there is both support and need for that. Perhaps we
will find that the Public Forum of the gNSO is better attended and more
relevant, if we hold it at the beginning of the ICANN meeting, so that
inputs can then be discussed in the Constituency meetings. The ccNSO may
decide that it prefers to have full working days when all are gathered,
rather than only a Council meeting.

Those are elements of input into the logistical and coordination aspects of
a Programme Committee's input, but do not address the content of that
group's meeting -- appropriately so.

I understand that we may be proposing to start with more of a logistical and
coordination activity, but the broader Programme Committee is in the long
run, more appropriate.

This would of course work with, and inform the Board Meeting Committee, as
appropriate.