[council] On the use of 'fairness'

Philip Sheppard philip.sheppard at aim.be
Fri Aug 26 09:15:01 UTC 2005

Tom makes a good point about semantics here.

I would also like to contribute the following.
The by-laws of ICANN are IMPERFECT WORDS written by IMPERFECT BEINGS - this
is not criticism but a matter of philosophy. The words of this e-mail merit
the same description.
Before we get too hung up on assessment of the GNSO in context of the
by-laws, let us remember this!
Another day, another writer and "fairness" may never have been in the
by-laws!

However, of course it is in the by-laws and so the question for us is not
how to include it in the scope of the GNSO review but what is the relevance
to the review.
The review seeks to answer two questions:
(i)	whether the GNSO has a continuing purpose in the ICANN structure
(lets assume yes),
(ii)	and  if so, whether any change in structure or operations is
desirable to improve its effectiveness.

So the question of fairness becomes:
What is the relevance of fairness to effectiveness?

Philip